Monday, November 23, 2009

Celiac Survival Guide


In case you haven't noticed, dear readers, I don't often share the sunny outlook that many fellow Celiacs seem to have in common. I often am not feeling well, and that is unfortunately reflected in my posts here.

It is mostly about survival at this point.

Thankfully, I'm not feeling too overly horrible today. Not great, not awful. I celebrated with a new discovery with which I am currently in love: Haagen-Dazs raspberry sorbet.

My history includes a love affair with ice cream. I grew up next to an ice cream factory and store, and I worked there as my first job. The best perk? All the ice cream you could ever want to eat. And I did. I always wondered if I would get sick of it. Not so!

I've been trying to minimize the dairy lately, as I suspect I may not tolerate it so well. I'm going to make exceptions, such as pumpkin cake for Thanksgiving. It just isn't the same without the cream cheese frosting!

Especially when I've recently been glutened, which is about all the time now, ice cream hates me. I love it for about a half hour, and then I'm soon hating it. So is everyone around me.

Hence, sorbet.

ALMOST as good as ice cream! Definitely not a low-cal treat, but super satisfying.

So here is another tip to add to the survival guide. Eat sorbet.

No comments: