Monday, September 21, 2009

Warning! Jennie-O Turkey Sausage

Here's my first column under the Warning! heading.

It involves one of my former favorite ingredients, Jennie-O hot Italian turkey sausage. Loved the stuff, made it at least once a week in various forms... I now suspect glutening. Twice.

The first time, I thought it was a fluke. I had made it into sausage patties, serving mine plain and my hubbie's on a bun. (This was when I kept obviously gluten-y things in my kitchen, a thing of the past!) I blamed the bun, even though I was super careful with it, didn't touch it, and washed my hands a billion and a half times.

I don't think it was the bun. The next time we ate the sausage, I used my tried-and-true recipe of sausage, broccoli, and Tinkyada spaghetti in a garlic chili broth. Mmmm... until I got sick. I was stumped until I remembered "the bun incident."

Bun, indeed...

Beware the turkey sausage, GF buddies. I'm terribly sad to lose this as an ingredient, but I think I've learned my lesson. Next up- probably a lesson in making my own sausage.

So long, Jennie-O. You were a good friend until you turned on me, backstabber!

No comments: