Thursday, April 9, 2009

Getting Glutened

What to do, what to do?!

You know that sinking feeling you get when you realize you just got glutened? It's terrible. I feel the effects of a mild glutening for weeks.

In the last almost 2 years since my celiac diagnosis, I have had a total of about 3 weeks where I have felt like my old self. Those weeks were amazing. I was a believer in the GF diet.

Unfortunately, I feel like I alternate getting glutened and getting sick. It seems like as soon as I start recovering from gluten, I come down with the latest fad virus. As soon as those symptoms go away, I'm back to being glutened. I wonder if they are related?

Maybe I'm willing to take more risks with food when I feel better?

I wish I knew of something constructive to do when I get that glutened feeling. I mostly just make sure I have plenty of coffee on hand to help me survive the next many mornings.

Easter is going to be interesting. I'm about a week post suspected glutening and 3 days post virus. I REALLY don't want to take any chances, but I'm not very good at telling people no-- especially when they have gone out of their way to (try to) meet my dietary needs.

Sorry for the downer post. I'm sure other sensitive celiacs can relate. I don't know how much more careful about being GF I can be unless I sit at home and constantly munch on fresh vegetables... Now there's an idea!

No comments: