Monday, April 13, 2009

Renewing my vows...

I did it again. I ate food that other people, in their kindness, prepared with me in mind. Now I'm paying for it.

I am so tired of taking tiny risks and dealing with the huge consequences.

In response to this, I am renewing my vows to Gluten Freedom. I feel as though I need to define my commitment, though long-term, by setting some short-term goals. I post this for my own benefit... So for the next two weeks:
  1. I will only eat food that I have made myself or have personally supervised its preparation by someone who understands cross-contamination. (Like my mom!)
  2. If there is any question in my mind, I will err on the side of caution.
  3. I will not take risks because "I already feel terrible- what more can it hurt?"
  4. I will eat fresh fruits and vegetables.
  5. I will cut out as many dairy products as possible, as I know that they particularly bother me post-glutening.
  6. I will also avoid soy with the exception of tamari. I like soy, but it does not return the sentiment.
  7. I will exercise despite my fatigue.
  8. I will get as much sleep as possible.
Now, I just have a few hurdles to address for the above, the first being the conference I'll be attending next week. The people in charge have graciously offered me a meal card that would request gluten free meals. How much do I trust this? Am I willing to put my health into the hands of strangers? How difficult will it be to take all my own food and eat out of a hotel room for three days? Can I do a little bit of both? (like use my own food as a back-up in case I don't trust the food?) I see snack bars in my future...

To achieve #7, I need to go to bed. Good night.

No comments: