Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Risotto, Take 2

Yes, it has taken me this long to try again. I'm too lazy to look back right now and see how long it has actually been since my first attempt at risotto, but I know it has been awhile!

I tried adapting this recipe from Ina for my second take. It turned out way better than the first one!! Substitutions: didn't have any shallots, so I threw in some garlic. Bacon not pancetta. Only had pinot grigio. No saffron.

A few tips-- this time, I made sure to cook my bacon until very crispy. Actually, I scorched the first batch... had to redo it. Last time, it got chewy and disgusting, so I also got rid of most of the fat. I know, I know, that's the whole point of bacon... but I can't stand chewy fatness.

It took longer than expected (about 40 minutes) and was al dente. I'm not sure how you do it in 20-30 minutes!

My only gripe with this batch is that it is a little too sweet. I'm not sure whether using a dry wine would have helped. I think the natural sweetness of the squash may be a bigger factor. Regardless, it was pretty darn good.

No comments: