Saturday, August 23, 2008

My, how things change.

I've only been diagnosed for a little over a year. What a year it has been! So much research, trial and error, and watching things change for the gluten-free community- usually in a good way.

The percentage of people with dumbfounded looks on their faces when I say that I can't eat gluten has decreased. Availability of gluten-free replacement products (more on that some other time) has definitely improved. Labeling has finally started becoming decipherable for the most part. Things are getting better, my friend.

I read a journal article the other day on anxiety and depression in the Celiac patient. The article found that the anxiety symptoms typically resolve with a GF diet, but that some of the depression usually lingers. No kidding. Almost anyone would be depressed from time to time when you have to constantly evaluate, re-evaluate, and pray about every bite that enters your mouth. Granted, things look up when you start to feel better, but it still has its moments of regret, envy, and just plain annoyance.

I'm finding less and less reasons to be annoyed as I investigate my GF options for products, restaurants, bakeries.... One of which, revealing my general location in the world, I visited for the first time today. Even though it is nowhere near being close enough to me to be convenient, I had been planning my trip for awhile now. It seems too good to be true, and then there it is: Gluten-Free Heaven. Well, that's not really the name, but it could be. Seriously, you have to check it out if you ever get the chance. Anybody else have something similar in their area??

I had choices of what I wanted to indulge in. Brownie? Cookie? Bread? (Of course, I went for all three...) I ate something that someone else made. It was absolutely delicious. There was no evaluation, no envy of anyone else but myself, and annoyance wasn't even on the radar screen.

It was a beautiful day. Funny how food can do that!

No comments: