Sunday, January 9, 2011

What am I eating??

List of foods I eat (don't worry, it's short):
  • Meat/Seafood: Pastured chicken, grass-fed beef, wild salmon, tilapia, shrimp (no preservatives, so have to peel/devein myself)
  • Non-starchy vegetables: asparagus, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, spring mix, spinach
  • Fruit: apples, very ripe bananas, kiwi, pomegranate, mandarins, berries
  • Yogurt: 24-hour SCD yogurt, made with starter and whole milk (usually organic, but really no proven benefit to organic milk... may try raw milk sometime although would kill the bugs in it anyway with yogurt)
  • Coffee and tea: as previously mentioned, trying to get off of these.
List of things I take:
  • Florastor. Haven't tried other brands yet. S. boulardii does really seem to help though, more than anything else I've tried so far, although that isn't saying much.
  • Occasional multivitamin from Freeda
  • Occasional vitamin D 5000 units from Freeda, taken with a meal to help with absorption. FYI- I read a study not long ago about levels improving significantly just by changing the administration time to the largest or fattiest meal of the day. My 25-OH level was 26 at last check, so borderline low or low depending on who you talk to.
  • That's really it. I don't do drugs. Even my last few headaches, I've just toughed out. Which sucks beyond belief, but I just didn't want to screw up my gut healing.
Meal options:
  • Typically- a piece of fish and a vegetable
  • Cabbage wraps- either make these into tacos with ground beef, or with shredded jerk chicken, either one dipped in a yogurt/lime juice sauce
  • Chicken soup of some sort
"Recipes":

I throw a whole chicken in the crock pot. I let it cook for awhile, depending on when I put it in. I then take the meat off and save it, throwing the carcass back into the pot with the juicy goodness. I add an onion, some carrots and celery, garlic, a bay leaf, some rosemary, 1 tsp salt. Fill it up to the top with water. I then put it on high and let it simmer for 4-6 hours, it takes a while to get to a simmer. Strain, and make soup! Or just sip for breakfast! (Or poach an egg in it if you are lucky enough to eat eggs). I do this about once a week. Chickens are expensive!

Marinate some shrimp in EVOO, lemon juice, garlic, shallot, and some spices (usu. chili powder, cumin, salt, a touch of honey, or use the fish grill/broil spice mix) along with some cooked spaghetti squash. Saute until shrimp are cooked through.

Use lettuce leaves or cabbage (put into boiling water for a minute or so to soften) as wraps for shredded chicken or ground beef. Dip in plain yogurt as described above. Not too bad. Messy though.

That's about it for now. Getting tired of it after two months on the diet already... but trying to stick it out. Definitely have noticed an improvement.

No comments: