Friday, September 26, 2008

Name That Substance

What is that, you ask?

Well, I'm not a chef and certainly not a photographer, but this was my attempt tonight at something akin to sorbet.

I tried to follow a recipe and put some frozen fruit, water, and a touch of honey into the blender/food processor (ok, it's a Magic Bullet, but I didn't really want to admit that I own something sold on an infomercial...). It kinda worked, but was so thick that the blades just stuck or spun most of the time. I added a splash of OJ and it seemed to blend better, but then ended up a tad soupy. I could have refrozen it, but I just couldn't wait to eat it.

So this is my contribution for those hmmm... I need something to eat that's GF, that doesn't take forever, and that isn't horrible for me... moments.

I also make a lot of smoothies. We usually end up with some too-ripe bananas sitting around. So before they go completely rotten, I peel them, throw them in a freezer bag, and stuff them in the freezer. Other frozen fruit isn't cheap, but if you watch for a sale it isn't too horrible to stock up.

The nice thing about smoothies is how little effort they require to make:

1. Throw stuff in a cup. Doesn't really matter how much. Bananas, frozen berries, frozen peaches, some plain yogurt, and a little OJ to keep things flowing. Heck, a little PB might be interesting.
2. Blend.
3. Find the box of neon bendy straws stuck in the back of the cabinet.
4. Have a nice healthy breakfast or dessert.

No comments: